Creating your own room deodorizing spray is simple and a great way to ensure you’re using non-toxic ingredients in your home. Here’s a straightforward recipe to make a natural and effective room spray:
- Distilled Water: 1 cup
- Witch Hazel: 1/2 cup (alternatively, you can use rubbing alcohol or vodka as they help disperse the oils evenly and prolong the scent)
- Essential Oils: 30-40 drops (Choose your favorite scents. Lavender, lemon, eucalyptus, and peppermint are popular choices for their refreshing and natural deodorizing properties.)
- Baking Soda: 1 tablespoon (helps with additional odor absorption)
- Natural Fragrance: You can add natural fragrances like a teaspoon of vanilla extract or citrus peels for an additional scent layer.
- A clean spray bottle (preferably glass)
- A small funnel
- A mixing bowl
- Mix the Essential Oils: In your mixing bowl, combine the essential oils. If you’re using baking soda, mix it with the essential oils first. This helps to distribute the oil evenly throughout the solution.
- Add Witch Hazel: Pour the witch hazel into the bowl and stir well. Witch hazel helps to emulsify the oil and water, ensuring they mix properly.
- Combine with Water: Add the distilled water to the mixture. Add it now if you’re using an additional fragrance like vanilla extract or citrus peels.
- Transfer to Spray Bottle: Carefully pour the mixture into your spray bottle using the funnel. Screw the lid on tightly.
- Shake Well: Before each use, give the bottle a good shake to ensure the oils are well dispersed.
- Usage: Spray in the air as needed to freshen up a room. Avoid direct contact with fabrics that may stain from oils.
Storage and Precautions:
- Store your room spray in a cool, dark place.
- As with any product containing essential oils, if you have pets, ensure the oils you choose are safe.
- Always do a patch test if you plan to use it near fabrics or surfaces to ensure it doesn’t leave any stains.
Enjoy your fresh, naturally scented home!
The Non-Toxic Dads Team